Salty Dog Cruises Offers Vacations from Holland America Line
Holland America Line is widely recognized as a leader in the premium segment of the cruise industry. The company’s fleet of 14 ships annually offers more than 500 cruises to 415 ports of call in 98 countries, territories or dependencies. From one-day mini-vacations to once-in-a-lifetime Grand World Voyages of more than 100 days, the line visits all seven continents to call at a variety of exotic, tropical, historical, cultural and adventure-filled destinations.
Highlights: 1873 – Present
Celebrating its 140th anniversary in 2013, Holland America Line has carried more than 11 million passengers from Europe to the New World and to vacation destinations across the globe since its founding. Today, it carries more than 800,000 cruise passengers a year.
- Holland America Line began in 1873 as the Netherlands-America Steamship Company, a shipping and passenger line. It became known as Holland America Line because it was headquartered in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, and provided service to the Americas.
- The company’s first ocean liner was Rotterdam, which sailed its maiden 15-day voyage from Rotterdam to New York City on Oct. 15, 1872.
- By its 25th anniversary, Holland America Line owned a fleet of six cargo and passenger ships. It also was providing service between Holland and the Dutch East Indies via the newly constructed Suez Canal.
- The line was a principal carrier of immigrants from Europe to the United States from the 1880s to the 1920s, taking 850,000 passengers to new lives in the New World.
- In 1895, the company offered its first vacation cruise. Its second leisure cruise — from New York to the Holy Land — was in 1910.
- In 1971, Holland America Line suspended its trans-Atlantic passenger trade and offered cruise vacations full time.
- In 1989, Holland America Line Inc. became a wholly owned subsidiary of Carnival Corp., the largest cruise company in the world.
Worldwide Itineraries and One-of-a-Kind Programs
Holland America Line’s fleet of 14 ships visits all seven continents and highlights include Antarctica, South America, Australia/New Zealand and Asia voyages, Grand World Voyages and popular sailings to the Caribbean, Alaska, Mexico, Canada/New England, Europe and Panama Canal. Beginning in 2014, Holland America Line has rebranded its popular Alaska CruiseTour program with the new name Land+Sea Journeys to highlight more time in the marquee destinations of Denali National Park and the Yukon. Among the most significant program enhancements is a convenient one-hour flight that brings Fairbanks, Alaska, and Dawson City, Yukon, closer together — replacing up to two days of motorcoach travel and a hotel overnight. The company has also opened Denali Square™ in Denali National Park with a goal to deliver the finest destination resort and experience in Alaska.
To date, Holland America Line has invested more than $500 million in its one-of-a-kind programs and enhancements include:
- Culinary Arts Center presented by Food & Wine magazine: a state-of-the-art onboard show kitchen where celebrated guest chefs and experts provide cooking demonstrations, wine-tastings, a cocktail mixology, hands-on themed cooking classes for both adults and kids, and other entertainment presentations.
- An Evening at Le Cirque takes place in the Pinnacle Grill one evening on each cruise. The line re-created the legendary eatery’s whimsical ambiance and award-winning dining experience on-board. Menus, wine selections, table decorations and the restaurant setting reflect an authentic Le Cirque dining experience.
- New alternative, vegetarian-only menu, as well as 30 new vegetarian dishes to the main dining room menu.
- A new 20-dish Master Chef’s International Dinner in the main dining room showcases signature dishes from around the world.
- Taste of De Librije aboard ms Rotterdam and ms Eurodam that features the cuisine of Culinary Council member and Michelin Three Star Chef Jonnie Boer. The menu showcases a selection of starters, soups, entrees and desserts from his land-based eatery.
- Greenhouse Spa with exclusive signature treatments.
- Digital Workshop powered by Windows®.
- Explorations Café powered by The New York Times.
- New spa and lanai stateroom categories.
- New stateroom amenities highlighted by the plush Euro-top Mariner’s Dream Bed, refined bathroom appointments, flat-panel TVs, pillow menus, new soft goods and bedding and more.
- Club HAL® for kids and tweens ages 3-12 with supervised, age-appropriate activities; teens-only activity areas.
- The Collections of Holland America Line — specially chosen shore excursions to further enhance guests’ appreciation and understanding of the places they visit.
As part of its social responsibility initiative, Holland America Line contributes more than $1 million a year in cash, in-kind shipboard events and useable goods to a broad range of charitable organizations nationally and internationally. In addition, the line provides hundreds of reduced-fare cruises annually to support charitable fundraising events throughout the United States and Canada.
The innovative On Deck for a Cause program is a non-competitive 5k fundraising walk held on each sailing. This program, announced in February 2013, supports cancer organizations in North America, Europe and Australia: Cancer Council Australia, Canadian Cancer Society, KWF Kankerbestrijding (Dutch Cancer Society), Cancer Research UK and American Cancer Society.
HOLLAND AMERICA LINE’S FLEET
|Ship Name||Delivery||Passenger Capacity|
|ms Nieuw Amsterdam||2010||2,106|
Holland America Line is headquartered in Seattle, Washington.
Salty Dog Cruises is proud to offer cruise vacations from Holland America Line. Call or email Salty today to learn more about this exciting cruise line and the fine cruise vacations that Salty Dog Cruises can design for you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (203) 937-5381.